Marina A. Lewis — Partner
235 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94104
Phone: (415) 290-1245
My practice focuses on intellectual property counseling with an emphasis on trademark, domain name, and internet law. I routinely counsel clients on a wide range of trademark and copyright issues, including worldwide clearance, prosecution, and portfolio management. I also advise on effective brand protection on internet, social media, and e-commerce platforms, and I enjoy working with clients to develop policies for implementing consistent online brand monitoring and enforcement strategies. I counsel brand owners on various remedies to address online trademark infringement and content protection, including the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP), the Uniform Rapid Suspension System (URS), the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and service provider Terms of Service mechanisms.
I assist clients with investigating potential infringement matters, and I am skillful at advising clients on non-litigation solutions, including settlement, coexistence, licensing, and assignment agreements. I have represented clients in trademark inter partes proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, as well as in United States District Court proceedings under the Lanham Act and the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
I am also very active in leadership with various professional associations where I am a staunch advocate for both the rights of brand owners and the consuming public. I am currently serving a three-year term as the ABA representative to the IP Constituency to ICANN, where I actively participate in policy creation directed to protect the rights and safety of IP owners and internet users within the digital space.
Community & Professional Associations
- Bloomberg BNA Internet Law Resource Center, Advisory Board, Member
- State Bar of California, Intellectual Property Section: Executive Committee Member, 2015 – 2018
- Leading Women in Technology: Mentor, WilPower Program, 2014
- International Trademark Association, Member
- San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Association: Member
- JD, University of San Francisco, 2006
- BA, San Francisco State University, 2002
- Co-presenter. “#85: Copyright: Shattering Copyright Myths for the Non-IP Lawyer,” 89th Annual Meeting of The State Bar of California, October 1, 2016.
- Presenter. “Building and Protecting Your Brand in the Digital Space”, Silicon Valley Taiwanese American Industrial Technology Association (TAITA-SV), July 21, 2016.
- Speaker. “Shattering Trademark (and Some Copyright) Myths for the Non-IP Lawyer,” ABA Annual Meeting, July 2015
- Moderator. “The Ethics of Securing Your Client Data—Locked Down!”, ABA Intellectual Property Law Section Spring Meeting, March 2015
- Presenter. “Chasing Ghosts: Protecting Brands in the Digital Space,” Webinar, The Intellectual Property Law Section of the State Bar of California, April 29, 2014
- “E-Commerce Websites / Trademark Tips: Seven Experts Share Their Secrets”, Landslide, American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, May/June 2015, Vol. 7, No. 5.
- Co-author. “Guide to the Uniform Rapid Suspension System”, BNA Bloomberg, Int. Law Res. Ctr., 2014.
- Co-author. “Protecting Your Brand in the Web 2.0 Environment,” World Trademark Review, June 2014.
- Co-author. “Protect Your Brand from Cybersquatting,” Harvard Business Review, Feb. 10, 2014.